By Cecil Wooten
Read Online or Download A Commentary on Demosthenes' Philippic I: With Rhetorical Analyses of Philippics II and III (American Philological Association Texts & Commentaries) PDF
Best literary medieval criticism books
What pleasures did Plautus' heroic tricksters offer their unique viewers? How should still we comprehend the compelling mixture of uprising and social conservatism that Plautus deals? via a detailed studying of 4 performs representing the entire diversity of his paintings (Menaechmi, Casina, Persa, and Captivi), Kathleen McCarthy develops an leading edge version of Plautine comedy and its social results.
Latin epics akin to Virgil’s Aeneid, Lucan’s Civil conflict, and Statius’s Thebaid addressed Roman aristocrats whose dealings in presents, favors, and funds outlined their conceptions of social order. within the trade of struggle, Neil espresso argues that those exchanges play a crucial but neglected position in epic depictions of Roman society.
Selected as one of many ten canonical performs via Euripides through the Hellenistic interval in Greece, Hecuba was once well known all through Antiquity. The play additionally turned a part of the so-called 'Byzantine triad' of 3 performs of Euripides (along with Phoenician girls and Orestes) chosen for examine at school curricula, notably for the brilliance of its rhetorical speeches and quotable conventional knowledge.
Antike Epen wie Ovids "Metamorphosen" oder die "Aeneis" von Vergil gehören zu den wichtigsten und wirkmächtigsten Texten des Abendlandes. Dieser Einführungsband gibt einen Überblick über Inhalt und shape dieser Texte. Dabei stehen folgende Fragen im Mittelpunkt: used to be wollte das Publikum hören? Wie lange hörte guy einer Rezitation zu und wie wurden Sollbruchstellen gestaltet?
- The Trophies of the Martyrs: An Art Historical Study of Early Christian Silver Reliquaries (Oxford Studies in Byzantium)
- The Silent Masters: Latin Literature and Its Censors in the High Middle Ages (Modern Greek Studies)
- Homers Ilias: Studien zu Dichter, Werk und Rezeption (Kleine Schriften II) (Beiträge zur Altertumskunde) (German Edition)
- Ovid's Metamorphoses (Oxford Approaches to Classical Literature)
- Alliterative Proverbs in Medieval England: Language Choice and Literary Meaning
- Gender and National Literature: Heian Texts in the Constructions of Japanese Modernity (Asia-Pacific: Culture, Politics, and Society)
Extra info for A Commentary on Demosthenes' Philippic I: With Rhetorical Analyses of Philippics II and III (American Philological Association Texts & Commentaries)
A Commentary on Demosthenes' Philippic I: With Rhetorical Analyses of Philippics II and III (American Philological Association Texts & Commentaries) by Cecil Wooten